Sunday, July 20, 2014

Prague to Munich

Our experience in Prague was very pleasant! The transportation in Prague is very reliable, unlike Poland. The people there are much less stinky, unlike Poland, because I believe there is more A/C. In Poland, imagine very hot travel with windows that don't open, no one is wearing deodorant, and they lift their arms to hold onto the bus...not pleasant. The travel was often too long for it to be comfortable. I felt like I had stepped back into world war 2 times, with a little more technology advancements. Communication was hard as very few spoke English, but I am extremely grateful that I got to experience Poland. Would I go back...Yes! I think this country, especially the concentration camps, should be experienced by everyone. I think I could visit Auschwitz and Birkenau several more times and still not be satisfied or feel like I learned enough. It was exciting and fun...yet hot, but well worth it.

Now with Prague, Kevin did great giving the outlines, but I just want to add some stories.

Prague was awesome in that finding the castle and anything there, isn't that hard. They do a great job with street signs. The hike to the castle is hard and uphill, but when you get up there it is totally worth it with the amazing view and the incredible architecture.  Pictures will never do it justice. It is something you need to experience. On the way down from the castle, we passed an extremely naked young woman. She was working it...and must've been very proud of her body. How she got there with no police stopping her is very amazing!

From the castle, we made our way to subway. From there we just wandered and miraculously happened upon Charles Bridge! It was very impressive. There was also a band dressed in old time clothes, playing great music from the top of the bridge. It almost felt like we went back in time. The statues on the bridge are amazing, although not the originals. Understandable, as I would not want those to be damaged either. However, the statues on there seemed very old as well.

There are also many tourists on the bridge and in old town. I went into what Kevin calls, "survival mode". (Morgan is usually very happy and talkative, making jokes and talking about things she sees, but when she is stressed, or hungry, or needs to go to the bathroom, she tenses up, stops talking, and only gives one word answers. It's really funny. This happens a few times a day) That was Kevin, I felt like he could describe survival mode the best.

Anyways, what's amazing about entering old town is how easy it is to happen upon something cool. Like we just happened upon the astronomical clock and a church I wanted to see. Pretty awesome! It's nice to have a map, but wandering around also brings you to cool things as well.

We were out on the town for about 4 hours, until 8, and then we went back to our place. We didn't want to stay out past dark here.

The place we stayed was found on airbnb.com! It was amazing and just what we needed. It was actually a dance studio, with a bed, bathroom, and shower. The shower was amazing! After Poland, we definitely needed one! When you travel, take showers as much as you can and utilize the free bathrooms because you never know when you will have these again.

The night's sleep in Prague was the best I've had since traveling. Not only the nap we had here, but going to bed...was very easy for Kevin and I and we both slept hard! Obviously a week of traveling is catching up with us.

Today officially marks a week of being away from home.

This morning we woke up at 7:45. We checked out of our place, and made our way to the train station. There we got a pastry and bananas for breakfast. We caught our train to Munich at 9:15 AM, showed our eurail passes, and traveled on our reliable train for 6 hours.

Thoughts on a train: I love traveling! It's amazing! When you are an animal lover, it can be hard though. If you see my Facebook, it is not hard to see that I love my animals. Last night I found myself watching videos we have of Zelda and looking at the pictures of our kitties. Every now and then, I find Zelda hairs on my clothes from giving her pets or snuggles. The more I am away, the more I realize how much I miss the little things my animals do. While Kevin was still napping yesterday, and I was writing my blog that would later be deleted for some unknown reason, I watched a man playing fetch with his dog in the courtyard. I would give anything to play fetch with Zelda right now and to have her snuggles. No matter those feelings, it did not take away from everything I have seen and done so far. I would still make the same decision to travel! If you have the opportunity to travel, even if you have animals at home, just do it!! :-)

Today on the train to Munich, it was really really hot. So far in Europe, we haven't seen any air conditioning. They just depend on opening windows to cool houses and trains off. But for some reason, on the train no one opened their windows except for us and the group of Americans next to us! I guess everyone else was used to it. I talked with one of the Americans for a good part of the trip, and we exchanged stories about our animals we had left at home! She told me that she has a cat named nugget, who shows its love by bringing her dead bugs!!

We got to Munich, only about 40 minutes behind schedule, and then caught a train out to Weilheim, the city where we're staying. In Weilheim, we found a little outdoor German restaurant, where we decided to eat. The server was very nice, and spoke good English! He even translated the whole menu so we knew what was available. Afterwards, we continued our walk to the house we are staying at. It was a long day of travel, and we are both looking forward to exploring the city of Munich tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment