Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Stockholm Day 2

What a long day! We left our room around noon, as I had a very hard time sleeping last night. I am still on Texas time...yet Kevin slept great :-) once we got going though, I felt fine.

We went to the grocery store first to stock up on some food. This is a MUCH cheaper route than eating out. We got bananas, cheese, granola, milk, and eight rolls of bread for about $10. We also had to pay for a bag to put our food in...kind of strange, but I'm getting used to the culture differences. We came back to our place next and unloaded and had some brunch.

After that, we headed out to what we called lookout point, or what Swedes might call the trail above Soder Malarstrand. It is on the island of Sodermalm. Other than Gamla Stan, this area has the second coolest buildings in Stockholm. If you plan to visit, you NEED to come here! When we got to the island, it was fun walking the narrow, very steep, cobblestone streets. The buildings are beautiful, and the places to take pictures are plenty.

On our nice walk to the lookout point...I encountered my first cat! It was glorious! Let's call her Missy (because that's what a sign had on it near where we found her). She peeked her head through a railing as she heard us approaching. She was a beautiful calico with a collar and a bell on. I know she is loved :-) she took a few pets and then decided she was done, so she walked off and so did we. It was great! I still haven't gotten to pet a dog yet.

We continued on our way to lookout point and eventually found it. It was a beautiful view of Stockholm. We took some pictures, walked the trial, and watched as the rain came towards us and past us over the water.

Next, I had to find the church with two towers that I knew was on the island because I saw it from the train. It was an extremely long walk, but we were not disappointed! This church was called Hogalidskyrkan! It was beautiful and a must see of churches in Stockholm. The entrance is free, so we walked around and took pictures. Like all churches we entered, it has a big organ in the back that was beautiful and lots of empty wooden pews. Unlike other churches, it has tunnel like arches in the side and cool side rooms with interesting drawings on the walls. See the pictures below!

As we exited, we explored the grounds outside and found a very cool cemetery...yet it's different than what you may be thinking! I believe it houses ashes of those that passed on. Here in Sweden, cemeteries are peaceful and happy places, unlike America! Which is interesting since people are a lot less religious in Sweden.

I will continue my day in another post since there are a lot of pictures. I wish I could put the pictures under each paragraph, but I'm blogging on a phone so that makes things s little difficult. Hopefully you enjoy this nonetheless!

No comments:

Post a Comment